Saint Nicholas Church is one of the oldest orthodox churches in Hunedoara area and the oldest from Hunedoara town. Located on the right bank of CernaRiver, near Corvin’s Castle, this church is related to the ideological dispute between John of Caffa and the Franciscan John of Capistrano, when the old church, probably made of wood, has been destroyed. In 1458, Matthias King allowed “the Serbians and the Walachians” to built-up a new church on the site of the old church. The current paintings bear the stylistic imprint of the 17th century, connected to an ample restoration and strengthen by the inscription placed at the entrance of the church (1654), above the nave door, through which the Protopopes Ianăş and Nicolae (Nicholas), together with Vasilie and Statie and with other merchants, built-up and paint this church between 1634-1654. This significant document was brought to his real value by V. Vătăşianu. The rood screen made of oak wood which divides the nave by the altar dates also from the 17th century, due to the inscription “Constantin painter 1648” written on one of the icons. The bell tower was built up in 1827.
The importance of the Orthodox Church from Hunedoara and of the castle’s chapel was approached since the end of 19th century, considering the similar shapes of the polygonal altar in the exterior and semi-circular in the interior, indicated by the stone churches from Bârsău, Baţa as well as the wood churches from Iarcoş, Ghighişeni, Hârseşti. Compared to the above mentioned examples, the altars of the church from Hunedoara are polygonal both inside and outside, which is a particular aspect in the circumstances of ecclesiastic architecture in Transylvania from the middle of 15th century.
The church is made of a mixture of stone and plaster, the wall having between 0,9-1,1 m thickness. Previously the flooring of the church was made of bricks and then of wood. The entrance in the narthex is made through a common wooden door. The iconostas (rood screen) dates from the 18th century and is made of sculpted wood. The short tower, located an the nave is circular in the exterior an has narrow and elongated windows. The roof is made of tiles.
The oldest part of the church (the nucleus) represents a simple Greek-cross plan inside a rectangle. In the centre of the naves, there were built-up four columns with simple bottom and cylindrical cone, columns that divide the nave and carry the tower. The arches merge in the central bay and intercut forming a new crossed arch. The altar plan forms a polygon with 4 sides, similar to that found at the castle’s chapel in Hunedoara. The arch is made of a half-cup sustained in the Eastern part on ribs, having a gothic aspect, with deep folds made of arches fabrics.
The church’s façade is simple. The windows splayed to the interior and exterior are narrow and long crowned by a circle segment. The side facades are differentiate through trapezoidal gables coming from the transversal arms.